Software that doesn't support ZFS

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Re: Software that doesn't support ZFS

Postby ilovezfs » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:26 pm

orckland wrote:
lundman wrote:There is some difference between / (HFS+) and /BOOM (zfs)
Code: Select all
    volumeName     = 'Mavericks ESXi HD'

Sorry for going OT, but it appears you have 10.9 running on ESXi. Would you be willing to do a post on this in the hackintosh thread?

10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, and 10.10, actually.

On non-Apple hardware, there's nothing more to it than http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/ ... -for-os-x/

If you're going with non-Apple hardware, reference http://www.vmware.com/resources/compati ... search.php when making purchasing decisions.

On Apple hardware, ESXi will run OS X without the unlocker. The only Apple models officially supported by VMware for ESXi are MacPro5,1 and Xserve3,1, though there are hacks for getting ESXi working on Mac Mini as well: http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/apple

VMware has announced that the next major release of ESXi will officially support the new MacPro6,1, but until then MacPro6,1 is an expensive paperweight if you want to run ESXi.
ilovezfs

Postby thePoet » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 am

lundman wrote:
Agent Response:

Retrospect use Apple file system api’s (FSGetVolumeInfo, PBGetVolumeInfo, FSGetVolumeParms) to gather the volume information we need and we support all volumes from a list of known signatures (HFS+, UFS, UDF, etc). We will also back up SMB and AFP mounted volumes locally but not through the client. If a ZFS implementation uses one of these known signatures we should work. If not, we will exclude that volume from out list of known volumes.

Lundman, sorry for bringing up an old topic, but how did you get ahold of Retrospect to get this response, and were you able to file any sort of bug requesting that they update to newer APIs? Did they appear to be aware that these APIs were deprecated?
thePoet

Postby madison437 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Since the date of these original postings re: Retrospect is from a while back, I thought that the newer pool attribute "com.apple.mimic_hfs" might have solved the problem, but unfortunately not.

I've since tried using ZFS with Retrospect both to store the backups (as a "Media Set"), as well as use as a "Source" for a backup.
Unfortunately, the ZFS volume doesn't show up in the Retrospect file browser during either of the above operations.

The (perhaps) relevant pool attributes are:
com.apple.browse on
com.apple.ignoreowner off
com.apple.mimic_hfs on

My setup:
OS X 10.9.5
Retrospect 12.0.2 (116)
OpenZFS on OS X 1.3.1-r2

On a perhaps related note, the Finder "Get Info" window for my ZFS volume shows "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)", yet my pool is set to "case insensitive."
When the "com.apple.mimic_hfs=on" is set, is this the correct reporting?

Any pointers appreciated. Let me know if there is something I can try and report back on.

-- madison
madison437

Postby lundman » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:00 pm

I think this is one that is waiting on Issue#116_manual. Its not quite there, you can certainly test it to confirm it will work, but I don't think you should be running it yet
lundman

Postby madison437 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks, lundman.

For now, I'll just store the backups within HFS+ diskimages on the ZFS filesystem, and when issue#116 is fully-baked (I read-through the entry on GitHub), I can switch over.

BTW, I would need to compile from latest sources as a test to see if this fixes the problem, correct?

Just checking.

Again, thanks,

-- madison
madison437

Postby thePoet » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I know that this is an old post, but I thought I'd close it our on a positive note. Retrospect will now backup the ZFS drives with the latest 1.8.1 release. This is probably due to the /dev/diskX work as that seemed to be the problem when we looked into it way back when. I've also commented in the bug report.

Also, FSMegaInfo no longer crashes because of the now valid device id.
thePoet

Postby lundman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:12 am

Oh yeah, so 116 was merged back in uh 1.7.3? So we now create /dev/disk nodes, at least for the root pool. You can use "zfs set" to enable it to a lower dataset
lundman

Postby thePoet » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:26 am

I’m sure it was fixed in 1.7.3, but this is the first I’ve been able to test it due to OS restrictions.
thePoet

Postby leeb » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:55 am

lundman wrote:Oh yeah, so 116 was merged back in uh 1.7.3? So we now create /dev/disk nodes, at least for the root pool. You can use "zfs set" to enable it to a lower dataset

Is any of this documented in the man pages anywhere? I may just not looking in the right place, but I can't find out where O3X native properties are actually listed and described short of coming across it in the forums or buried somewhere in the wiki. Like with 116 lite for example, looks like the final name was com.apple.devdisk rather then net.lundman.116 as ilovezfs suggested, but I can't see where to get that except as something in a full property list.
leeb

Postby lundman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 pm

We did have manpage entries for the APPLE specific properties, but they were lost when manpage upstream was changed to illumos. Ironically, we will have to change back to ZOL soon too. Feel free to make a PR if you want to add them back in.

Easiest way to see what is available is "zfs get all", and "zpool get all". We've tried to use "com.apple." so it is a bit more clear they are for OSX specifically.
lundman

PreviousNext

Return to General Help