Does 1.7.3 continue to work after upgrading to Mojave beta?

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Does 1.7.3 continue to work after upgrading to Mojave beta?

Postby rcfa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:34 am

Subject says it all: do the kexts, etc. continue to work when Mojave beta is installed?

Don't need to hear the usual "not supported" etc. comments. I just want to know if there's a fundamental incompatibility like in the last OS update cycle, where the kext wouldn't load, or if there's a known major bug that's triggered/introduced by the new OS.

I have a bunch of data I keep on ZFS formatted disks, which I also should be able to access on my development system. So either I have to transfer a few TB to APFS disks (which I don't trust after a recent file system corruption!), or I don't have to go through that exercise...

Thanks!
rcfa

Re: Does 1.7.3 continue to work after upgrading to Mojave be

Postby lundman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm

I had no problem with mojave and my tests, although I run master. But there is not much difference to 1.7.3 - but some people did mention the mount-print panic, We should have that confirmed
lundman

Postby rcfa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:21 pm

lundman wrote:some people did mention the mount-print panic, We should have that confirmed

How would that manifest itself? Each time a ZFS volume is mounted, there's a panic? Or occasionally? Or?
Just so I know what to test/look out for.
rcfa

Postby lundman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Some people have it ever mount, so don't at all. It is an easy fix though, so if enough people have it we'll push out a new package. But if nobody has it, everything is fine!
lundman

Postby rcfa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 am

lundman wrote:Some people have it ever mount, so don't at all. It is an easy fix though, so if enough people have it we'll push out a new package. But if nobody has it, everything is fine!

OK, did a test install on an external drive: without zfs drivers, the system boots, with the drivers installed, it crashes during boot, and reboots => endless loop. So this happens even if there's not a single zfs volume attached.

So, given that you say it's an easy fix, I think a 1.7.3 beta2 or 1.7.4 beta package would be quite useful, at this point.

Thanks!
rcfa

Postby lundman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Trying to replicate:
Code: Select all
ProductName:   Mac OS X
ProductVersion:   10.14
BuildVersion:   18A293u

Installed "OpenZFS on OS X 1.7.3 BETA for High Sierra.pkg" and can reboot fine, including it auto-importing the pool.

Did you get any crash reports in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ ?
lundman

Postby rcfa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:38 am

Nothing that seems relevant, it may crash early in the boot process, before something is written there...
...I’ll try again, and let you know if it changes anything.
rcfa

Postby rcfa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:54 pm

rcfa wrote:Nothing that seems relevant, it may crash early in the boot process, before something is written there...
...I’ll try again, and let you know if it changes anything.

OK, so here’s the deal: I reinstalled the package while having some zfs drives attached.
After the installation, before a reboot, they were mounted, and seemed to function just fine.

Reboot the system, and I’m back in the endless reboot loop, regardless of whether the drives are attached or not.
No logs in the DiagnosticReports folder, aside from a .spin report from the software installation
Nothing beyond the shutdown messages in the system.log file

After deleting, while booted from another drive, all files installed by the package, and rebooting: things are back to normal.

So whatever is the issue hits before any logs are written on disk.

This is a mid-2012 MacBook Air, i7, 8GB RAM, erased SSD with a virgin installation of Mojave beta 2, zero third party software aside from the zfs 1.7.3beta package.
rcfa

Postby lundman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 pm

Oh I see, the OS Updates are no longer under App Store. But anyway, I am now also running beta2, and alas, it still works fine.

If someone could set boot-args to

Check what they are first, so you can return:
sudo nvram bootargs

Then set
sudo nvram bootargs "-show_pointers -v keepsyms=y debug=0x144"

So it will stop and show the panic, then maybe attach a photo of the crash..
lundman

Postby rcfa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:25 am

7D8323EE-4827-4C6B-AE15-31FE9A5A276F.jpeg
7D8323EE-4827-4C6B-AE15-31FE9A5A276F.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 7240 times
Not sure this helps...
rcfa

Next

Return to General Help