Error -8076 when trying to change disk permissions

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Error -8076 when trying to change disk permissions

Postby tiernano » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:34 pm

Morning all.

Created a new pool with 5x8Tb drives (ZRAID1) on an M1 Max Mac Book Pro (64Gb RAM). When I right-click on the drive, go to info, tick the lock, click on the plus to add users, and select my username, I get the following error:

Code: Select all
The operation can’t be completed.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076).

When I try to copy files into the folder it is asking me to authenticate, and trying to copy files through the CLI only works when running as sudo. I have tried
chmod -R 755 *
but still getting the same authentication request. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
tiernano

Re: Error -8076 when trying to change disk permissions

Postby jawbroken » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:36 pm

I never worked out how to do this properly (from back in the ZEVO ZFS days, even) so I just habitually create a folder on the drive and set permissions on that instead, nesting everything under there. Someone probably knows how to do it properly, but that has always worked for me.
jawbroken

Postby tiernano » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:19 pm

I just tried giving permissions to a folder and it worked perfectly. Happy days! If i could do it for the main pool or even sub pools (I created tank and then tank/archive) then that would be even better...
tiernano

Postby Arne » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:40 am

When I create a new pool I change the owner of the pool and the datasets as the first step after creating them:

sudo chown -R $USER /Volumes/zfs

I guess only setting the permissions will leave the user to "root" and you will get asked each time you want to access the pool/datasets.
My system: Mini 2009 (early) with El-Capitan 10.11.6
Arne

Return to General Help