ZFS 2.1.6 can't mount some encrypted datasets (I/O error)

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

ZFS 2.1.6 can't mount some encrypted datasets (I/O error)

Postby roemer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:40 am

I have a ZFS mirror with multiple encrypted datasets, all of which were created and snapshot with ZFS 1.9.4.
And all of them work fine under ZFS 1.9.4.

While most of those filesystems mount without problem under 2.1.6 (Monterey, M1 or Intel), I have two cases where any mounting attempt fails with an "Input/output error":
Code: Select all
zfs version                                             
  zfs-macOS-2.1.6-1
  zfs-kmod-2.1.6-1

zpool import tank

sudo zfs mount -l tank/Photos
  cannot mount 'tank/Photos': Input/output error

zpool events -v
  Jan  5 2023 15:58:40.394135976 ereport.fs.zfs.authentication
        class = "ereport.fs.zfs.authentication"
        ena = 0x52ee7eb4ee600001
        detector = (embedded nvlist)
                version = 0x0
                scheme = "zfs"
                pool = 0x5716f2d6f92f9ce
        (end detector)
        pool = "tank"
        pool_guid = 0x5716f2d6f92f9ce
        pool_state = 0x0
        pool_context = 0x0
        pool_failmode = "wait"
        zio_objset = 0x319
        zio_object = 0x0
        zio_level = 0xffffffffffffffff
        zio_blkid = 0x0
        time = 0x63b65900 0x177e09a8
        eid = 0x6

This seems to be related to the OpenZFS Issues #13709, #13521, and #13859, and I tried the workaround which was suggested there (https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/1 ... 1232430808):
    1. make two new snapshots on the dataset
    2. zfs send the incremental to a file
    3. Roll back the dataset to the first of the two snaps
    4. Receive the incremental from the file to the dataset
However in my case, it does not work, leading to an "checksum mismatch" error when trying to receive the incremental backup in Step 4:
Code: Select all
sudo zfs snapshot tank/Photos@recover1
sudo zfs snapshot tank/Photos@recover2
sudo zfs send -w -i tank/Photos@recover1 tank/Photos@recover2 >Photos_recover_diff
sudo zfs rollback -r tank/Photos@recover1
sudo zfs receive -F -v tank/Photos <Photos_recover_diff
  receiving incremental stream of tank/Photos@recover2 into tank/Photos@recover2
  cannot receive incremental stream: checksum mismatch

Any suggestions on how to fix this "checksum mismatch" error?
Does anyone know a solution for this I/O mounting problem with encrypted datasets?
roemer

Re: ZFS 2.1.6 can't mount some encrypted datasets (I/O error

Postby erico » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:51 pm

I am having this problem as well, but I don't get an i/o error, I get a hard crash. The system locks up and I have to reboot.
I have tried this on four operating systems: catalina, monterey, big sur, ventura...they all lock up.
It worked under version 1.9.4 , but i made the foolishing mistake of upgrading the datasets....so now I can't access the data at all.
My system is a Mac Pro 5,1

Any help would be very welcome!
erico

Re: ZFS 2.1.6 can't mount some encrypted datasets (I/O error

Postby Nanisa » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:55 pm

The hard crashes may be related to the APFS file system, which is not fully supported by O3X yet. Some users have reported that converting their disks to HFS+ or using a separate HFS+ disk for ZFS pools can prevent crashes. However, this may not be an ideal option for some users who want to use the latest features of APFS.

• The hard crashes may also be caused by some incompatible kexts (kernel extensions) that interfere with O3X. Some users have suggested that disabling or removing kexts such as Little Snitch, Paragon NTFS, or VirtualBox can improve the stability of O3X. You can use a tool like Kext Utility to manage your kexts and see if any of them are causing conflicts with O3X bitlife

• The hard crashes may also be a result of some bugs or errors in the O3X code or the ZFS on Linux code that it is based on. Some users have reported that using older versions of O3X or ZFS on Linux can avoid crashes, but this may also mean losing some features or performance improvements. You can try to downgrade your O3X version to 1.9.4 or lower or use a different branch of ZFS on Linux, such as OpenZFS 2.0 or ZFSin. However, this may also require some technical skills and caution, as you may encounter other issues or data loss bitlife unblocked
Nanisa

Return to General Help