Need help

All your general support questions for OpenZFS on OS X.

Need help

Postby Persecutor » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 am

Hello guys,

I need help today. After installing OpenZFSonOsX-2.1.0-Mojave-10.14.pkg on a fresh and clean installation of macOS 10.14.6, I can't do anything with it. I tried everything I tried with 1.9.4 before, and nothing works. Somebody, please give me a step-by-step instruction for what to do next.

Regards
Oskar
Persecutor

Re: Need help

Postby Sharko » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:22 am

When you installed the new ZFS system, were you given an opportunity to approve the kext in System Preferences under Security and Privacy? Usually if nothing works it is because MacOS is slow to present you with that option, and I think that after 30 minutes it won't even present the option any longer.

If you think the scenario that I just outlined is the problem you might have to re-install the ZFS package again on top of the original install; wait a minute or two, and then go to Security and Privacy preference pane. Depending on MacOS version (and I can't quite remember Mojave behavior) you might get a system dialog asking you to approve the kext, or you might see a button on the pref pane saying something like "Approve kext from lundman.net?"

Sometimes, for unknown reasons, MacOS won't give an opportunity to approve the kext right after installation. If you're not seeing the approval opportunity, reboot your machine, and then go back to the Security and Privacy pref pane. Usually you will see it then.

I think the wiki page for installation instructions is sorely lacking detail at the moment: all it says is "Follow the prompts." I have a machine that I need to put OpenZFS on later this week, I'll try to document what I see and edit the page to reflect current reality.

Kurt
Sharko

Postby Persecutor » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 am

Thank you,

zpool is working, but kextstat | grep lundman isn't.
sudo zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O normalization=formD $poolname mirror diskX diskY , isn't either.
The same goes for sudo zpool import poolname
It looks like this every time:
Oskars-iMac:~ oskar$ kextstat | grep lundman
Oskars-iMac:~ oskar$
Persecutor

Postby Persecutor » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:45 am

Sharko wrote:When you installed the new ZFS system, were you given an opportunity to approve the kext in System Preferences under Security and Privacy? Usually if nothing works it is because MacOS is slow to present you with that option, and I think that after 30 minutes it won't even present the option any longer.

If you think the scenario that I just outlined is the problem you might have to re-install the ZFS package again on top of the original install; wait a minute or two, and then go to Security and Privacy preference pane. Depending on MacOS version (and I can't quite remember Mojave behavior) you might get a system dialog asking you to approve the kext, or you might see a button on the pref pane saying something like "Approve kext from lundman.net?"

No nothing of that sort. I have csrutil disabled and Gatekeeper disabled.
It looks like this
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 13.43.44.png
Überall means everywhere
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 13.43.44.png (202.06 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Persecutor

Postby Sharko » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:40 am

If I'm interpreting your response correctly, it sounds like you were not offered a chance to approve the lundman kext. Or maybe you did approve it, but it still isn't loading automatically. For the second case, this was discussed in a previous forum thread, here:

https://openzfsonosx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3549

If you have never been given a chance to approve the kext, then this article by Howard Oakley might be useful; it tells you how to use kmutil to find out status and, if needed, force the OS to offer you a chance to approve the kext.

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/07/extensions-are-moving-away-from-the-kernel/

The kmutil executable sounds like it is just what you need: you can run
Code: Select all
kmutil inspect
to see what the status of third party extensions is, and then run
Code: Select all
 kmutil trigger-panic-medic
from within Recovery OS to force MacOS to offer you a chance to approve third party extensions.

I also read that sometimes one has to clear the SMC and the PRAM in order for a third party extension to load properly, so you might want to do that as a first step.

How to reset SMC of Intel Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

How to reset PRAM: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Good luck, let us know how you fare!
Sharko

Postby Persecutor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:30 am

Hello again,

reseting the PRAM helped. Now it looks like this:
Oskars-iMac:~ oskar$ zpool version
zfs-macOS-2.1.0-1
zfs-kmod-2.1.0-1
Oskars-iMac:~ oskar$ kextstat | grep lundman
Oskars-iMac:~ oskar$

and

Oskars-iMac:~ oskar$ kextstat -b org.openzfsonosx.zfs
Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
135 0 0xffffff7f80f12000 0x18df000 0x18df000 org.openzfsonosx.zfs (2.1.0) 26083354-1748-3F60-8513-8FEE5533AC8B <27 8 6 5 3 1>

Thanks for the help
Oskar
Persecutor

Return to General Help