ZetaWatch-r43-0-g6bfe19

Developer discussions about the GUI.

ZetaWatch-r43-0-g6bfe19

Postby Scrappy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:08 pm

G'day all ...

I installed the latest version of ZetaWatch on Mac OS X Catalina, with OpenZFS 1.9.4 ... not sure of a better place to report bugs / issues, so figured I'd do it here ...

First, took a bit to figure out how to install it .. had read through the README.md on Github, saw the section on Installation, didn't see the Releases tab unless I did some searches on "how to install" and found others that were equally un-observant ... suggest adding a link to https://github.com/cbreak-black/ZetaWatch/releases as part of the Installation section in the README.md file, just make it super obvious.

One I was able to download, installation was straightforward ( as the README.md states ) ... started it up, authenticated me for the helper installation, and I believe everything is running fine now:

Code: Select all
# ps aux | grep -i zeta
root              2828   0.0  0.0  4268192    584 s000  S+   12:00AM   0:00.00 grep -i zeta
scrappy           2823   0.0  0.1  4386612   9288   ??  S    12:00AM   0:00.10 net.the-color-black.ZetaLoginItemHelper
root              2821   0.0  0.0  4384956   4260   ??  Ss   12:00AM   0:00.09 /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/net.the-color-black.ZetaAuthorizationHelper
scrappy           2820   0.0  0.1  4927228  18532   ??  S    12:00AM   0:00.24 /Applications/ZetaWatch.app/Contents/MacOS/ZetaWatch

Click on the Z in the menu bar ... my pool shows up, looks healthy ... go under Settings and make sure that Start on Login, Auto-Import Pools are both checked ... reboot and ... nothing comes up.

Click on the Import Pool menu item, says 'No importable pools found'

Go to Terminal, sudo to root and run 'zpool import -d /dev Plex' ... it imports fine, and ZetaWatch sees it again ...

I'm new at OpenZFS on Mac OS X .. did I forget to setup a config file or something that ZetaWatch needs in order to determine what Pools should be out there?

Thanks ...

SideNote

One note about installing ... do not move the ZetaWatch.app file from your Downloads directory -> Applications .. use Finder .. Apple has this thing called AppTranslation ( see: https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/app-translocation.html ) that mounts the app ( for security purposes ) on some random path and runs it from there ( ie. /private/var/folders/ws/m9mf3dt54yd9gz3cch4tz9bh0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/245CA52F-272F-4FA1-8648-FC18B20A0FD8/d/ZetaWatch.app/Contents/MacOS/ZetaWatch ) ... moving it to Applications using Finder eliminates that ... I suspect the system is basically figuring that if you've used Finder to move it, then you are actually on the system, as opposed to someone that broke into the system via ssh and installed it maliciously ...
Scrappy

Re: ZetaWatch-r43-0-g6bfe19

Postby Scrappy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:38 pm

Problem, and solution, found ...

On Catalina ( at least ), /bin/bash doesn't have "Full Disk Access" ... if you run from Terminal.app, all works fine, as *it* has Full Disk Access, but from Launchd, it needs /bin/bash to have it ...

Found this post: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/376474/enabling-bin-bash-on-catalina-invisible-to-system-preferences-security-p

Specifically:

1. Open system Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Full Disk Access
  2. Click the lock in the lower left corner to allow changes
  3. Separately, Open a finder window
  4. "go to folder" /bin
  5. Drag /bin/bash to the Full Disk Access (right hand side)

Now, when I reboot, the disks auto-import properly and are visible in ZetaWatch without me having to go to Terminal and do it all manually ...
Scrappy

Return to GUI Development