Files with hard links don't appear correctly in the Finder

Developer discussions.

Files with hard links don't appear correctly in the Finder

Postby CharlesS » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Hey all, my apologies if this is a known issue (I couldn't find a "Known Issues" page anywhere, and the Github repository appears to be private), but I think I've found a bug in O3X 1.2.0 on OS X 10.9.2. If you create a hard link to a file using the ln tool, both files will show up correctly in the output of the ls tool, but in the Finder, only the original file will display correctly, whereas the hard link will either a) not display at all, b) display but with the filename of the original file instead of the hard link's filename, or c) briefly flicker into existence before disappearing again.

This can be seen by running these three commands when cd'ed into a directory on a ZFS volume:

echo "Foo" > Foo
ln Foo Bar
open .

Again, my apologies if this is known and I'm just clogging up the pipeline.
CharlesS

Re: Files with hard links don't appear correctly in the Find

Postby lundman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:09 pm

That does appear to be a real bug, and we should create an issue for it. Feel free to do that if you want, or I can at some point.

(devs: I believe we may need to call the vnode_ for multiple references, and/or check with getattr for the name resolution)
lundman

Postby ilovezfs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:40 pm

The issues tracker is publicly visible here: https://github.com/openzfsonosx/zfs/issues?state=open

Not sure what you mean by private?
ilovezfs

Postby CharlesS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Ah, sorry about that. I'd tried going to the URL for the github repository that was in the Read Me file for 1.2.0:

https://github.com/zfs-osx

It says there are no public repositories. Now I see that it's just that they've moved it to a different URL. Sorry for the confusion.
CharlesS

Postby ilovezfs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 pm

ilovezfs

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development