Finder copy issue with com.apple.mimic

Developer discussions.

Finder copy issue with com.apple.mimic

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:35 pm

Happy new year everybody! :D
• I've just found a bug when copying a folder in the Finder by drag and drop from an hfs or apfs drive when com.apple.mimic is set to hfs or apfs — tested with v2.2.2 and a destination pool properly created under v2.2.2 (not upgraded).
Some files are not copied correctly, either resulting in an empty file of the correct name or partially copied.
• The same operation is doing alright if com.apple.mimic=off is set in the destination pool
• The same folders copied from an old pool (not upgraded since v1.9.2) are instead copied perfectly! :o — note that I've not changed the flag in the source pool where it was set to off.

My tests were made under Mojave, with all sources and destinations internal (no USB involved ;) )

EDIT: to reproduce that issue, I suggest you export/import the pool after you set com.apple.mimic, to be on the safe side.
nodarkthings

Re: Finder copy issue with com.apple.mimic

Postby Sharko » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:13 pm

I had a problem with an earlier version that was similar. I'll have to go back and dig around, but I think it was due to some files being small enough that the file data itself was embedded in the file metadata or directory entry.
Sharko

Re: Finder copy issue with com.apple.mimic

Postby nodarkthings » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:22 pm

Sharko wrote:I had a problem with an earlier version that was similar. I'll have to go back and dig around, but I think it was due to some files being small enough that the file data itself was embedded in the file metadata or directory entry.

Size might matter indeed: most of the files I found with that issue were quite small (generally less than 1MB), but I found a few up to 5MB. And many small files are copying correctly... :?
Just tried with "big" files (mp3 and wav) and none was afflicted.
nodarkthings

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development