OpenZFSonOsX-2.2.2

Developer discussions.

Re: OpenZFSonOsX-2.2.2

Postby lundman » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:49 pm

OK the 2.2.2 build contains calls to sprintf(), not sure why Linux would include such an old call. But the builds will not load on "newer" OS. Not
sure when Apple removed sprintf from the kernel.

Thanks for reporting this issue.
lundman

Postby RJVB » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:06 pm

lundman wrote:* 10.9 still pops up "disk is unreadable" but dunno if energy into 10.9 is worth it :)

I'm still fulltime on 10.9 and using ZFS only sporadically but I like to build myself anyway ;) (I was actually hoping to upgrade to 2.1.14 but no such luck apparently.)

With older ZFS version one could prevent that popup by adding a tiny partition with an HFS or NTFS filesystem on it, but the 2.1.0 I'm using ATM posts the dialog because of the "fake" device that is created by default when importing a pool. It's been a while since I bothered but IIRC I've been able to prevent the dialog by disabling one of the Apple-specific pool or dataset properties.

FWIW, I use ZFS as a proper Unix exchange filesystem; I rigged 2 M2 SSDs together in a mirrored pool for to sync photos, audio etc. with from my various systems.
RJVB

Postby nodarkthings » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:40 pm

RJVB wrote:With older ZFS version one could prevent that popup by adding a tiny partition with an HFS or NTFS filesystem on it, but the 2.1.0 I'm using ATM posts the dialog because of the "fake" device that is created by default when importing a pool. It's been a while since I bothered but IIRC I've been able to prevent the dialog by disabling one of the Apple-specific pool or dataset properties.

@RJVB Hi! I've found out that putting zfs.fs in /System/Library/Filesystems in 10.9 instead of /Library/Filesystems removes the warning message!
M. Lundman applied that fix in v2.2.2 (although he forgot to remove zfs.fs from /Library/Filesystems, ;) but it seems harmless to have both — I guess the one in S/L has precedence — but you can also manually remove it).
Apparently, the only issue remaining in 10.9 is when using an external USB drive, but otherwise all my tests went ok.
nodarkthings

Postby RJVB » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:03 am

nodarkthings wrote:Apparently, the only issue remaining in 10.9 is when using an external USB drive, but otherwise all my tests went ok.

Sorry, can you repeat what that problem is?

It's not like we have much choice anymore when using external disks...! My 2.1.0.4 build (= 4 commits after the 2.1.0 release) works just fine with external disks. Seems to be fine with zfs-macOS-2.1.99-130_gb803d548a too (that's the dev. branch from the official repo, 2 commits after a sync with the code for 2.1.6 that I cannot seem to find).
RJVB

Postby nodarkthings » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:09 pm

RJVB wrote:
nodarkthings wrote:Apparently, the only issue remaining in 10.9 is when using an external USB drive, but otherwise all my tests went ok.

Sorry, can you repeat what that problem is?

It's not like we have much choice anymore when using external disks...! My 2.1.0.4 build (= 4 commits after the 2.1.0 release) works just fine with external disks. Seems to be fine with zfs-macOS-2.1.99-130_gb803d548a too (that's the dev. branch from the official repo, 2 commits after a sync with the code for 2.1.6 that I cannot seem to find).

Indeed! v2.2.0 and 2.2.2 kernel panic each time I've tried to copy a big folder in 10.9 Finder to a USB drive zpool.
v2.1.6 doesn't (but icons are not showing... :? )
You can read about it in viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3861
So there's clearly a difference between 2.1.6 and 2.2.0 in 10.9 that conflicts with USB drives.
nodarkthings

Previous

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development