2.1.6RC2 Feedback

Developer discussions.

2.1.6RC2 Feedback

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:28 pm

Quick question - I'm trying RC2 on Ventura x86, I tried to install the Big Sur 2.1.6RC2 package, it installs and completes without errors, however, I don't get the kexts loaded. I rebooted into recovery mode, kmutil trigger-panic-medic etc, reinstalled but approval of the kext was not triggered and I still had no kexts on reboot.

Installing the Catalina RC2 on Ventrua works though and I'll test with that - just curious as to what might be going on with the Big Sur build though.

I've not had a chance to dig into the installer logs or make sure that the old kexts were properly uninstalled (i.e. recovery mode and manually delete them if they're still there). If I get a chance later I'll poke it some more.

Cheers!
Jimbo

Re: 2.1.6RC2 Feedback

Postby lundman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:45 pm

OK, so BigSur might be bad? I knew I should not have done a build being sleep deprived from the summit. It could simply be it isn't notarized.
lundman

Postby Jimbo » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:41 am

It might be. After my stuffing around and installing the Catalina build, I have:
Code: Select all
% sudo zpool version
zfs-macOS-2.1.6rc2-1
zfs-kmod-2.1.99-117_gfb666a6e38

Does that look correct?
Jimbo

Postby lundman » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:18 pm

Not at all?
lundman

Postby dmz » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:38 pm

OK, here's a fun thing. I actually ran trigger-panic-medic on my Monterey installation, and reinstalled RC2, and now... it doesn't load the kernel extension on Monterey either. Instead, I get basically the same error as I got on Ventura:

Code: Select all
admin@MacStudio ~ % sudo /sbin/kextload /Library/Extensions/zfs.kext
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/zfs.kext
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=30 "Validating extension failed: Kext org.openzfsonosx.zfs v2.1.6rc2 in executable kext bundle org.openzfsonosx.zfs at /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/org.openzfsonosx.zfs.Pzthia/zfs.kext:

Extension 'org.openzfsonosx.zfs' has invalid properties: [Property 'CFBundleVersion' must be a valid kext version]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Validating extension failed: Kext org.openzfsonosx.zfs v2.1.6rc2 in executable kext bundle org.openzfsonosx.zfs at /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/org.openzfsonosx.zfs.Pzthia/zfs.kext:

Extension 'org.openzfsonosx.zfs' has invalid properties: [Property 'CFBundleVersion' must be a valid kext version]}

So that explains why we were both seeing old kext versions - the new kext was just never getting activated/loaded.
dmz

Postby lundman » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:28 pm

Yeah, as discovered in other thread, I can not have "rc2" in kext version, not even 2.1.6.2, so after cursing out apple, I am fixing things up.

Soon rc3, to see if we can lessen the confusion going forward.
lundman

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development