Differences between O3X 1.9.0 and ZoL 0.8

Developer discussions.

Differences between O3X 1.9.0 and ZoL 0.8

Postby tangent » Fri May 24, 2019 4:06 pm

I popped by the forum today to see what’s been happening since the last O3X version I installed because of the announcement that ZoL 0.8 had finally shipped. I was hoping to see that a new version of O3X was also in prep, and I was happy to see that one is!

My question then is, is this just coincidence, or has O3X rebased on ZoL as FreeBSD recently did, so that an O3X release naturally follows?

The feature I’m most eager for is stable encryption. My understanding is that O3X native encryption is not considered fully-blessed in 1.8.x, in part because none of the other open ZFS forks had blessed it. It looks like ZoL 0.8 finally does that. Does that blessing transfer to O3X 1.9.0?
tangent

Re: Differences between O3X 1.9.0 and ZoL 0.8

Postby lundman » Fri May 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Historically, it was like

* clone ZOL, port to OSX, and use ZOL as upstream
* illumos is the leader, change upstream to illumos
* ZOL becomes the leader, return ZOL as upstream

So, I've been holding back a release to wait for ZOL 0.8.0 - in case they found something juicy. So we are
rolling out a release - there is even a DMG, but we want to test that it works as expected on each
OS version. Having a hell of a time to test 10.8 - might have to drop support for it.

Which means we are up-to-date with commits to ZOL 0.8. However, there is a gap, when we were upstreaming with illumos, that is missing.
So there are a couple of features we miss.

After release, I will fold SPL into ZFS (like ZOL did) then start moving files around so it fits better, ie, what fbsd did.

Encryption is also then up to date with ZOL 0.8, and considered ready.
lundman

Postby tangent » Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Historically, it was like...

Thanks for the history. It is most helpful.

So there are a couple of features we miss.

Which ones?

Encryption is also then up to date with ZOL 0.8, and considered ready.

I'm unclear on your meaning here. Will O3X 1.9.0 bring encryption up to match that in ZoL 0.8, or will O3X 1.9.0 be lagging ZoL here due to having Illumos as its upstream?
tangent

Postby lundman » Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 pm

We have already switched back to ZOL - and the top commit for ZOL's 0.8 is our top commit for 1.9.0.

As for the middle, we are missing a bunch from about 2 years back, in terms of pool features, that is userobj quota and project quota.
lundman

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development