ZFS Yosemite Install USB Drive

Developer discussions.

ZFS Yosemite Install USB Drive

Postby realfolkblues12 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29 pm

So I know that there are technical limitations that stop us from booting zfs at this time. This question is not about that. Just stating so it's not confused with that question.

The question is.

I have a system
SSD - OSX Operating System Installed
tank - my ZFS raid

USB - Yosemite Install disk 16GB flash drive.

I would like to install the correct kext...etc other stuff I'm not sure about? into the USB drive.

This would allow me to boot my recovery USB drive and make a backup image SSD --> tank.
and if a crash happened I could do the reverse tank/backup.dmg --> SSD.

Also posting in development because I figured only the developers would know the answer? If needed please let me know and I can delete/repost in a different area. Thanks!

So the question is what files need to go where to get the install media to see zfs drives and be able to mount them?
realfolkblues12

Re: ZFS Yosemite Install USB Drive

Postby lundman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

The two kexts, spl.kext and zfs.kext. That takes care of the kernel part. Then you need userland tools, "zfs", "zpool" the rest you can do without (but easy to include). Those binaries rely on libraries, otool -L will tell you which ones, at the very least "libnvpair libuutil libzpool libzfs libzfs_core libz"

That is generally enough for you to load ZFS, and fiddle with a pool from recovery. Use DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH if you can't place the libraries where it expects them by default.
lundman

Postby realfolkblues12 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks lundman for the help! I have lots of homework this week so I can't look into it right now but when I get time if I can get it working i'll document the steps I took to make it work.
realfolkblues12

Postby tangles » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:11 pm

I guess a script could be added to the installer packages to install onto the hidden recovery partition as well?

realfoundblues12 is working on a basic GUI, so maybe when that's ready, we can offer a customise button in the package install and be able to choose GUI Tools and Recovery install options...

thoughts?
tangles

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development