No plan to merge to upstream?

Developer discussions.

No plan to merge to upstream?

Postby cgiard » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:43 pm

Hello,

I recently saw a comment on GitHub that has me hoping someone has more information on the why:
lundman wrote:Ultimately, I think you can proceed with Linux/FreeBSD changes. We've pretty much given up on merging macOS, and will plan to arrange our repo and workflow to be permanently down-stream, and have own copies of files for easier merging.

Anyone (lundman?) have more info they can (and are willing to) share?
cgiard

Re: No plan to merge to upstream?

Postby lundman » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:51 pm

The PRs are like several years old, and its a non-zero amount of effort to keep them up to date all the time. So until upstream indicate they are ready for us, we will simply change our work flow to assume we are downstream - and live with the repetitive changes each and every time they change something.
lundman

Postby cgiard » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:30 pm

Thanks for the update. The work you've done on this is amzing. Are the upstream devs just not generally interested in accepting support for MacOS? I understand it's got some significant differences in architecture from *BSD or Linux, but having a common filesystem across all the platforms that's better than FAT seems like something everyone should want.
cgiard

Postby lundman » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:55 am

Nothing malicious like that, it takes a fair bit of work to bring something like this in, from volunteers upstream, who all want to work on their own thing. Then there are other things, like the brt seek/hole corruption etc, that takes priority at least short term. It's just that there is always going to be "something else" that sparkles more.
lundman

Return to OpenZFS on OS X Development