NFD still needed in Mojave?

Here you can discuss every aspect of OpenZFS on OS X. Note: not for support requests!

NFD still needed in Mojave?

Postby DanielSmedegaardBuus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:26 am

Hey :)

I'm preparing to re-create my current pool and use a Mac mini with macOS to run it rather than my previous setup, which was Ubuntu-based.

I was googling for the UTF-8 normalization command and noticed that, for APFS, you might not need to worry about normalization forms with APFS in Mojave (https://gist.github.com/JamesChevalier/ ... nt-2821059).

I'm assuming that this is something related specifically to APFS and not Mojave, but I thought I might ask just in case I was wrong :)

Has there been any change in Mojave that means we're defaulting to NFC unless HFS+ is used? I.e. I wouldn't have to create an NFD zpool for my mac shares?

Cheers!
Daniel :)
DanielSmedegaardBuus

Re: NFD still needed in Mojave?

Postby lundman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:55 pm

Last time I tried it, NFD worked better. But that was 2 OS versions ago, so I'm not sure if Mojave changed something. You could easily test both and see which one you prefer, just create "file based pool" and a dataset each and test.
lundman

Postby DanielSmedegaardBuus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 pm

True that!

But, when you say "NFD worked better," what exactly do you mean? Isn't it a requirement to use NFD with macOS? Or is it just a "hint" in ZFS to OSes that they should expect these files to be named with NFD-style UTF-8? Hmmm...

No biggie either way, it'd just be nice if macOS would use NFC like the rest of the OSes so we didn't have to do iconv on rsync and wonder why we can't use autocomplete in shells properly with special characters :)

Thanks!
DanielSmedegaardBuus

Postby lundman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:55 am

With straight ascii, everything works. But I believe once you add umlaut and kanji - NFC had cases where it would not "find" the file asked for, but NFD does.
lundman

Return to General Discussions