Thinking of switching from Mac ZFS to FreeNAS

Here you can discuss every aspect of OpenZFS on OS X. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Thinking of switching from Mac ZFS to FreeNAS

Postby incumbent » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:28 am

Dismayed wrote:I was able to install High Sierra, but that OS is now too old to run programs that I need, such as Turbo Tax. So I've installed Win 10 on a new SSD and reformatted the old OSX SSD as a dat drive.

I ran up to Catalina on a macpro3,1 using the DOSDude's unsupported macOS installation kit? i didn't try to update to Big Sur on that workstation, I slid over to a 2013 trashcan6,1 and I should have bought a 7,1 instead of trying to make that thing work for me.

The GPUs you use matter, my 3,1 had a couple I used that there were drivers for in macOS; no more Nvidia web drivers but I got a GTX 680 and it wasn't great but it was better than a 5770 or something.
incumbent

Postby Brendon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:24 am

While they still work, the old Mac Pro is really slowing its age now. Software obsolescence is a major issue.

Aside from the internal expansion capabilities a new m1 will generally run rings around it as well.
Brendon

Postby lundman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Odd that Microsoft offers better support for legacy Mac hardware than does Apple.

Not at all, it's literally their business model. Microsoft has always supported legacy, like, forever. Which is
why you still have to support 8.3 filenames everywhere, including kernel drivers. You can still run DOS programs, including 16 bit.

Apple has drawn hard lines, saying, from here on out, X is no longer supported. Like the PPC to Intel change, the 32/64 bit change over, the GPU change over. Coming soon, the
intel to arm change over. Sometimes it feels "too soon" for sure, but there is very little legacy to deal with on apple side.

Not a rant, just something I noticed porting ZFS to both platforms.
lundman

Postby novice » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:56 am

lundman wrote:
Odd that Microsoft offers better support for legacy Mac hardware than does Apple.

Not at all, it's literally their business model. Microsoft has always supported legacy, like, forever. Which is
why you still have to support 8.3 filenames everywhere, including kernel drivers. You can still run DOS programs, including 16 bit.

Apple has drawn hard lines, saying, from here on out, X is no longer supported. Like the PPC to Intel change, the 32/64 bit change over, the GPU change over. Coming soon, the
intel to arm change over. Sometimes it feels "too soon" for sure, but there is very little legacy to deal with on apple side.

Not a rant, just something I noticed porting ZFS to both platforms.

Exactly what happens for ios vs android too. I believe what Apple did is overall better for consumers and developers.
novice

Previous

Return to General Discussions