Move Service Data to ZFS volume on OSX server

Here you can discuss every aspect of OpenZFS on OS X. Note: not for support requests!

Move Service Data to ZFS volume on OSX server

Postby simonpie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:20 am

Hello all,

I would like to move all Service Data to a ZFS volume on an OSX Mavericks Server. This option is situated here :
Server.app -> Your Server -> Settings
and is called "Service Data". As anyone ever done this ? Does it work or do I have to do some manual config every time the server reboots ?
simonpie

Re: Move Service Data to ZFS volume on OSX server

Postby Brendon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi,

It can be done. The mimic_hfs feature is needed (https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/FAQ#Q.29_ ... _on_ZFS.3F).

Word of warning through, there is no coordination such that the OSX server starts up after the filesystems are mounted. It is purely a matter of chance of everything functioning correctly after a cold start. I always manually stop and start the OSX server services to ensure that the ZFS mounts are being used.

There is no/minimal ACL support, so this may be a limiting factor for you.

I mainly use directory sharing, App Store Cache, Software Update Server, Time Machine Server. All hosted on ZFS. The OSX App Store Cache used to work fine on ZFS, no longer does, so I use an HFS formatted ZVOL on ZFS for the storage for that service.

Good luck!

Cheers
Brendon
Brendon

Postby simonpie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay in my answer, but we have to check a box to get an email notification.
I cannot believe I missed that on the FAQ page.

Thanks, it seems to work beautifully for now Reboots happen normally.

What do you mean minimal acl ? Does the option mimic_hfs change the normal behaviour of zfs ?
simonpie

Postby Brendon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi,

Mimic HFS mode has no impact on ZFS behaviour, it just causes the volume to appear as though it were HFS.

Minimal ACL - means exactly that. Minimal/No support for OSX ACLs at the moment.

Cheers
Brendon

simonpie wrote:Thanks,

Sorry for the delay in my answer, but we have to check a box to get an email notification.
I cannot believe I missed that on the FAQ page.

Thanks, it seems to work beautifully for now Reboots happen normally.

What do you mean minimal acl ? Does the option mimic_hfs change the normal behaviour of zfs ?
Brendon

Return to General Discussions