Spotlight surprise

Here you can discuss every aspect of OpenZFS on OS X. Note: not for support requests!

Spotlight surprise

Postby JohnP » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:40 pm

I have a 6TB RAIDZ with about 4TB of data on it, using the latest 1.31r2 build. It is an archive of stuff, so having Spotlight support is great. It took a long time to build the Spotlight index, which in itself is about 5GB. I made a duplicate of the pool to an identical raidz ZFS pool but with a different name. I used zfs send/recv. As I expected the ./Spotlight_V100 directory was copied across, but un-expectedly, the Finder respected it.

Usually when duplicating or cloning a Mac volume, Spotlight indexes are not copied as they just get re-written...for this reason things like CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper do not copy the Spotlight data if duplicating Mac (HFS+) volumes.
I thought that after the duplicate pool mounted I would see mds and mdutil kick-in and start re-indexing the duplicate archive and I'd have to wait a few days again, while it indexed... but no, I could search the volume straight away.

So with ZFS this is a handy bonus!
JohnP

Return to General Discussions