any suggestion for choosing right fs

We won't tell.

any suggestion for choosing right fs

Postby mbunal » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:59 pm

hello all

i have a hackintoshes. gigabyte h81 ds2, i3 cpu, 16 gb ram, 120 ssd, evga 210 vga. i am using for streaming via mdlna also. my archive hdd (2 tb) is full. i want to switch to a nas hdd 8 tb one. anyway. this is the question: which fs should i use? zfs is more secure for my data, what about hfs+? i dont want another box in my room. it is already very crowd. is it hfs+ enoufgh for me? or which fs should i choose? ntfs, hfs+ or zfs?

thanks for replies.

note: sorry my perfect english!!! ((-;<<<
mbunal

Re: any suggestion for choosing right fs

Postby haer22 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:34 am

If you want to ensure the integrity of your data, only zfs will do.

There are NASes that run zfs and then present AFS, HFS+, NTFS, <whatever> to the network and all clients are happy.

I have one SSD hfs disk for boot, system and some applications. The other disks are in a zpool and all my data is there, my home dir, my DVD copies, the TimeMachine, my <whatever>
haer22

Postby mbunal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:52 am

i already formatted as hfs+ and started to use. anyway. what is your system specs? cpu? ram? hdd? and can you give a DIY guide?
mbunal

Postby tangles » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:39 am

sounds like you're only wanting to use a single disk of 8TB for your storage?

if so, all the information u need exists in the wiki to create your ZFS pool.

I assume you will be backing up this single 8TB disk to "somewhere/something" else?

If not, then don't place any data on the drive that you can't afford to lose such as family photos or home videos!

Retrospectively, you could have purchased another 2x 2TB Drives and create a Raidz1 (equivalent strategy to RAID5) with your existing/old 2TB drive and use the leftover cash to buy a 4TB drive for backup (assuming u don't have a backup plan at the moment).

any chance u can offload this 8TB drive?
tangles

Postby RobRehnmark » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:11 am

I use a HFS+ formatted SSD drive for system, user files, apps, etc.
A big ZFS RaidZ2 for other data, Final Cut Pro, etc.
Mac OS Server to share a file system off the ZFS pool for Time Machine backups and stuff.
It works great on my Hackintosh.
Super grateful to the people developing OpenZFS on OS X!
RaidZ2 working well for storing my data, OS X Server share for Time Machine, FCPX, iTunes, Photos, etc. on my Hackinstosh.
RobRehnmark

Return to Hackintoshes