ZFS dead on a 10.9 partition, not on another...

We won't tell.

ZFS dead on a 10.9 partition, not on another...

Postby nodarkthings » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:01 pm

EDIT: case closed! OpenZFS 1.3.1 fixed the issue, the workarounds mentioned on page 5 are now useless. ;)

Hi!
I've searched the whole forum and couldn't find an explanation yet, so here I am ! ;)
I've tested OpenZFS 1.3.0 and then the latest RC to date on a clean 10.9.5 test partition, all was working fine, auto mount on start included, I even tinkered with a USB disk mixing HFS and ZFS. Great!

So, confident, I went on to my main day to day 10.9.5 partition, installed just the same, it was more or less working but on restart I had a white screen freeze and had to force shut down the computer.
Since then import doesn't work any more on that partition, even if I create a zpool from there, it's available and working, can be exported but then or after a restart: no way!

I've tried zpool import with various flags; to trash anything related to openzfs in Library/LaunchDaemons; clean every cache with Mavericks Cache Cleaner...
- diskutil list sees the disk and its partitions.
- zpool status says no pools available
- zpool import hangs (no response from Terminal)
- mount doesn't show the zpool partition
- zfs mount doesn't show anything
I wonder if there could be a conflict with some other app such as Carbon Copy Cloner (I has numerous errors with it in the Console, at a certain point but I updated it to the last version and it looks they're gone...).
EDIT: Lately, the situation has gotten worse: I've uninstalled ZFS using the uninstall-openzfsonosx.sh shell and I can't install it anymore! (I get an error from the installer before completion)

When i come back to my test partition, all is working perfectly again.
So, any idea is welcome! I'm not keen on reinstalling my main OS and all its softwares, as everything else works...

P.S.: yeah, it's a hackintosh, but I doubt it has anything to do with it, I'd rather think it's a software issue, permissions issues...
Last edited by nodarkthings on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
nodarkthings

Re: ZFS dead on a 10.9 partition, not on another...

Postby ilovezfs » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Can you upload /var/log/install.log please
ilovezfs

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 am

Hi! Thanks for your quick answer!
In the meantime I've managed to reinstall using Pacifist, now I can uninstall/install in the proper way but "zpool import" still hangs...
Here's the log from the last install, anyway, but I can't see anything weird in it.
nodarkthings

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:05 am

I can't upload install.log or .txt, even with no extension ( got a message "The extension is not allowed"), what am I supposed to do? :?
nodarkthings

Postby ilovezfs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15 am

Try now.
ilovezfs

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:28 am

Great! :D
install.log
(16.6 KiB) Downloaded 4194 times

N.B.: I've just kept the log for the last install
nodarkthings

Postby ilovezfs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:36 am

What did you "reinstall" with Pacifist? 1.3.0?
ilovezfs

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 am

Yes, to be on the safe side. But I had the same behaviour even with 1.3.1RC5.
nodarkthings

Postby ilovezfs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 am

When you say "- zpool import hangs (no response from Terminal)" what exact command(s) are you running?
ilovezfs

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:50 am

I've tried both "zpool import" alone or with the name of the pool ("zpool import Videos" in my case, which is an emty pool created on a single drive with no other HFS partition on it).
When I press Enter, the cursor goes to the next line (with no prompt and stays there forever — I've waited more than half an hour, I suppose it's enough for an empty pool... :mrgreen: )
If I open a second terminal window, I can run the other zfs commands, such as "zpool list" (that gives 'no pools available') or "zfs list" (that gives 'no datasets available').
nodarkthings

Next

Return to Hackintoshes