ZFS dead on a 10.9 partition, not on another...

We won't tell.

Re: ZFS dead on a 10.9 partition, not on another...

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Thanks for the tip! ;)
I'll try making some AppleScript with that, together with import/export commands.
nodarkthings

Postby nodarkthings » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:46 pm

It's working!
Here are my scripts, for anyone having a similar problem. :)

Importing:
do shell script "sudo mv /dev/com_digidesign_semiface /dev/fuse_com_digidesign_semiface" user name "my_user_name" password "my_password" with administrator privileges
delay 1
do shell script "zpool import tank" user name "my_user_name" password "my_password" with administrator privileges

Exporting:
do shell script "zpool export tank" user name "my_user_name" password "my_password" with administrator privileges
delay 1
do shell script "sudo mv /dev/fuse_com_digidesign_semiface /dev/com_digidesign_semiface" user name "my_user_name" password "my_password" with administrator privileges

N.B.: the quotation marks are needed
If you want to totally eject the disk, provided it always mounts at the same point, you can add to the export script:
do shell script "sudo diskutil eject diskn" user name "my_user_name" password "my_password" with administrator privileges
(the "n" of diskn being of course the number of the pool's drive)

Long live ZFS! :D

EDIT: actually, for my specific problem, DigiDal.kext needs to be either in /System/Library/Extensions (its default place) or /Library/Extensions, BUT com_digidesign_semiface being renamed doesn't seem to interfere with ProTools behaviour! So renaming it systematically to fuse_com_digidesign_semiface after boot is also an option, as it doesn't have to be renamed back, like in the exporting script above.
nodarkthings

Postby ilovezfs » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:25 pm

The underlying bug is now fixed in master:
https://github.com/openzfsonosx/zfs/blo ... 1223-L1225
ilovezfs

Postby nodarkthings » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:45 am

Waow! What a responsiveness! I'm amazed. :D

But I've found there's still a conflict between DigiDal.kext and ZFS, even with com_digidesign_semiface renamed: rebooting or shutting down (even from the login screen) displays a 1mn long white screen — while it's instantaneous either if DigiDal.kext is removed or ZFS is uninstalled — and nothing gets logged into the Console during that period.
I've tried unloading DigiDal.kext on the fly, but to no avail. :|
nodarkthings

Postby nodarkthings » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:24 am

I found a complete workaround for both issues (the device and the long white screen): I've moved DigiDal.kext at the root level, so it doesn't load at boot, and only load it when I launch ProTools with my favourite shortcut manager. ;)
"sudo kextload /DigiDal.kext"
nodarkthings

Previous

Return to Hackintoshes