Installing ZFS first time Sonoma

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Installing ZFS first time Sonoma

Postby gregariousbing » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:21 am

Hey everyone,
I have a M2 Mac Mini with 4x 10tb hard drives connected via 2 USB enclosures that I'd like to set up in a zraid1 if possible.

I have been trying to install ZFS for a few days now and whenever I try to create a pool I always get stuck with the error message

"The ZFS modules are not loaded.
Try running '/sbin/kextload zfs.kext' as root to load them."

If I try to run aforementioned command I get an error message

"Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -p /sbin/zfs.kext
Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"".

I've tried installing from terminal with brew, as well as from the appropriate packages (Sonoma arm64) from the 2.2.0 dmg image. And running all appropriate uninstall scripts/commands with restarts in-between install attempts to no avail.

I'm really new to ZFS and not super experienced with MacOS or Terminal commands either but I'd really like to learn. Anything that can point me in the right direction, or directions on how to provide further information to help diagnose would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
gregariousbing

Re: Installing ZFS first time Sonoma

Postby jawbroken » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:39 am

You don't say above, but I presume you haven't enabled the installation of kernel extensions and then approved the kernel extension in System Settings.

See here, particularly (probably):
Kext management by the user requires a restart to recoveryOS to downgrade security settings. The user must press and hold the power button to restart into recoveryOS and authenticate as an administrator. Only when recoveryOS is entered using the power button press will the Secure Enclave accept the change of policy. The user must then select the tick box Reduced Security and the option “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers” and restart the Mac.

When a new kext is installed and there’s an attempt to load it, a restart must be initiated by the user from the warning dialogue in (macOS 13 or later): Apple menu > System Settings > Privacy & Security. This restart initiates the rebuild of the AuxKC before to the kernel booting.
jawbroken

Postby gregariousbing » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:11 pm

Thank you so much for your response! You presumed correctly that I hadn't enabled extensions. I went ahead and followed the instructions with the link you provided. However, even after all that, I'm still met with the same errors as before.
gregariousbing

Postby lundman » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:40 am

try a

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/zfs.kext

and lets see what it says
lundman

Return to Absolute Beginners Section