Can't reinstall Raid-Z Manager on BigSur

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Can't reinstall Raid-Z Manager on BigSur

Postby Sergio » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:18 am

I just updated my iMac to BigSur and raid-z manager won't work. I uninstalled it and downloaded the version for BigSur and tried to reinstall without success.it doesn't even show the app installed. Since I don't know much about Macs I have no clue on how to fix that problem. Now, I can't access to 99% of my work :cry:
Please someone with patience and knowledge, help! is there any other app I can use to access my Akitio Thunder 2 Quads? Happy New Year. Thanks.
Sergio

Re: Can't reinstall Raid-Z Manager on BigSur

Postby Sharko » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:09 pm

Well, I know nothing about about raid-z manager (presumably an Akitio-supplied software product), but if at all possible I would roll back to Catalina or whatever you were running prior to your upgrade to Big Sur. I've just been standing on the sidelines, and the difficulty of getting OpenZFS working properly on Big Sur is non-trivial, to say the least. Especially if you're not really experienced in the system administration skills necessary to work with ZFS from the command line. Do you have a clone image of your system from the point before you upgraded the OS?
Sharko

Postby Sergio » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Sharko wrote:Well, I know nothing about about raid-z manager (presumably an Akitio-supplied software product), but if at all possible I would roll back to Catalina or whatever you were running prior to your upgrade to Big Sur. I've just been standing on the sidelines, and the difficulty of getting OpenZFS working properly on Big Sur is non-trivial, to say the least. Especially if you're not really experienced in the system administration skills necessary to work with ZFS from the command line. Do you have a clone image of your system from the point before you upgraded the OS?

Thanks for your help, Sharko, raid-Z manager was supplied by Akitio, I had to reinstall Catalina to access my files again.
Sergio

Postby lundman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:29 pm

You don't need raid manager to use it, they just wrapped a gui around it. Having said that, it is likely it did not work on BigSur, is because we now require "keepsyms=1" to be set for ZFS to load.

We are trying to find solutions around that.
lundman

Postby Sergio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm

lundman wrote:You don't need raid manager to use it, they just wrapped a gui around it. Having said that, it is likely it did not work on BigSur, is because we now require "keepsyms=1" to be set for ZFS to load.

Great! I'll be checking updates on that here in the forum. Thank you so much!
Sergio

Postby Sergio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:43 pm

lundman wrote:You don't need raid manager to use it, they just wrapped a gui around it. Having said that, it is likely it did not work on BigSur, is because we now require "keepsyms=1" to be set for ZFS to load.

and I'll try to educate myself (researching about raids) on how to manage the raids I have with other alternatives to RAID-Z MANAGER so I don't have this problem again.Thanks again.
Sergio

Postby Babylonians » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:58 am

Hey, do you mind I ask you what is your solution? I have a similar problem and trying to find the alternative GUI app.
Babylonians

Postby lundman » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:08 pm

I think the RAID manager might work again now? I've not tried mind you. But the ZetaWatch app on the forum somewhere is a pretty decent starting point too.
lundman

Return to Absolute Beginners Section