Recreating my Raidz1

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Recreating my Raidz1

Postby GroovinBuddha » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Hello,

I've been on here a few times and the community has been extremely helpful, for which I am grateful, but I'm stumped again.

I had a four bay Raidz1 setup on my MacPro for a while now, but one of the drives has been acting funny. (Kept removing itself, if you read that thread.)

With some assistance I narrowed it down to the drive that was acting up and ordered a replacement. I was previously running 4x4tb WD Blacks that were salvaged and donated, but there were no replacements of that drive available, so I got an IronWolf Pro 4TB. Same capacity, same speed, hopefully quieter.

I used the command zpool history to get the exact line of code I used to create the pool the first time before I proceeded, which was:

zpool create -f -o ashift=13 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O normalization=formD Data raidz1 disk0 disk1 disk2 disk3 (disk#s are fillers and I use the numbers in the system report on reboot)

I then used zpool destroy Data to break the set, shut down the computer, replaced the bad drive and rebooted.

I had initially used the ashift=13 because I read somewhere that if I was planning on using SSDs in the future that number was best, but I doubt I'll ever be doing that now so I went back to ashift=12 this time around.

I tried to recreate the pool and it just gave me an I/O error

I reformatted all the drives with FAT32 - same : ExFAT - same : MacOS Journaled - same

I then set about unmounting all the drives and running the command and I would get Media Data showing up in Disk Utility but Terminal would show that it failed to create a mount point.

I zeroed all the disks and got the same result.

I have pulled the new drive and tried to re-create the exact same setup as I had previously and it fails in the exact same ways regardless of how I set the ashift.

I have tried every sort of variant and isolated everything I could think of and I'm fresh out of ideas? Does anyone have any new ideas that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance
Ed
GroovinBuddha

Re: Recreating my Raidz1

Postby lundman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:14 am

So you are trying to create a new pool and get an error? Can you paste the command and output from it?
lundman

Postby GroovinBuddha » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 am

lundman,

Good to hear from you again, I believe you helped me out when I did this the first time about a year ago. I just attempted the command again and this is the result:

(base) Ed-Bowles-MacPro:~ edbowles$ zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -O casesensitivity=insensitive -O normalization=formD Data raidz1 disk3 disk4 disk5 disk6
cannot create 'Data': I/O error

Cheers
GroovinBuddha

Postby jawbroken » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 am

You probably need "sudo" in front of that command.
jawbroken

Postby GroovinBuddha » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:55 pm

jawbroken,

You were indeed correct. I feel like a real idiot. I also had to unmount the drives, which I had forgotten about as well. Taking better notes this time.

Thanks again
Ed
GroovinBuddha

Postby jawbroken » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 pm

No problem, it's not a very helpful error message.
jawbroken

Postby lundman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:59 am

The error message is perfectly cromulent!
lundman

Return to Absolute Beginners Section