Preview and TextEdit holding up zpool export

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Preview and TextEdit holding up zpool export

Postby romanaOne » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:37 pm

I recently tried to upgrade from 1.4.2 to 1.4.5 and could not export my zpool because these two processes had files open even though the Mac OS X GUI gave no indication that they were even running! Command-Tabbing listed nothing but the Finder and Terminal. (My current working directory was not on mypool.)

When
Code: Select all
zpool export mytank
failed, I started looking at what processes were running by using
ps ax
I noticed that these two applications were still alive even though the Dock did not show them running. I'd been looking at a few PDFs and a text file stored on mypool about half an hour ago.
Anyway,
killall Preview
and
 killall TextEdit
made it possible to cleanly export the pool and run the updater pkg. I had quit them normally without error, so they were not zombies.

This is on the latest version of El Capitan. Does OS X normally lie to you about which applications are running? Why?
romanaOne

Re: Preview and TextEdit holding up zpool export

Postby lundman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Finding out which app has an open reference is tricky code, I'm actually more impressed when it manages to get the right one :)

You can also export -f, to force it to be unmounted. Although that comes at a risk, if you DID have Textedit open with an edited file, but just forgot about.
lundman

Return to Absolute Beginners Section