how to mount zvol in OS X?

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

how to mount zvol in OS X?

Postby romanaOne » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:50 am

I have been using ZFS on Linux on a dual boot system (Ubuntu and Hackintosh El Capitan). The boot drive is HFS+/ext4 and two other drives are set up as a mirror for data that doesn't change much.

I want to be able to share my images and music between OS X and Linux and it seems like creating a ZVOL with HFS+ will be the best way to go, from what I'm reading. (I have read that there are problems with iTunes when you store your music library + database on a zfs filesystem.)

Or should I format the ZVOL FAT32? I don't need permissions, gigantic file support, or other unix complexity for a simple, single-user system.

In either case, how do I mount a ZVOL in OS X? There is no /etc/fstab to add the path to and the 03X Wiki doesn't mention ZVOLs. Will it mount automatically when I import the pool containing the zvol?

Are ZVOLs working on the OS X port of zfs? stable?
romanaOne

Re: how to mount zvol in OS X?

Postby Brendon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:38 pm

I'm not sure how severe the issues with itunes on zfs really are. I have been doing it for years. Having said that my itunes collection is relatively stable i.e. not really growing except by maybe a few albums per year.

Cheers
Brendon
Brendon

Postby lundman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Yes, just sharing the ZFS dataset would be my first choice, even if you might have to live with the occasional twitch.

As for ZVOLs, you can indeed use /etc/fstab, but it is not needed. On OSX, once the OS sees a valid filesystem it just mounts it. So once you use OSX to partition and format it as HFS, it will be mounted automatically, every time.
lundman

Postby romanaOne » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm not sure how severe the issues with itunes on zfs really are. I have been doing it for years. Having said that my itunes collection is relatively stable i.e. not really growing except by maybe a few albums per year.

Mine is too. I find about 3 good CDs a year at junk shops. Maybe I'll give it a go--I mean just import the linux pool and let iTunes churn through it. As usual, I'm torn between El Capitan UI candy with everything NOT released by Apple broken in weird ways and Ubuntu's excellent package management+devel tools with the hideously craptacular Gnome/KDE Xorg UI mess.....
romanaOne

Return to Absolute Beginners Section