FreeNAS or O3X

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

FreeNAS or O3X

Postby Dismayed » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:21 am

I was considering setting up a ZFS NAS using FeeNAS, but then I stumbled across O3X. The advantage of O3X being that I can run it on the photo editing workstation I'm planning to buy (looking at a cheese grater Mac Pro), instead of buying a separate NAS and a work station. So if I go with O3X, will I easily be able to set up shares for other computers on my network? And, most important of all, is O3X ready for prime time, or should I wait for later releases?
Dismayed

Re: FreeNAS or O3X

Postby Brendon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:13 am

@Dismayed

O3X ZFS filesystems can be shared using NFS, SMB[2], AFP.

As for is it ready for primetime, it works well, has good and improving performance, but is still under active development. The term "prime time" is very subjective, and we offer no guidance on that. Not knowing your ZFS experience levels, I would recommend that you install the software, learn a little about ZFS and then make a decision as to whether it suits you.

For me, I have been using the software successfully for more than a year, with few issues.

Cheers
Brendon

Dismayed wrote:I was considering setting up a ZFS NAS using FeeNAS, but then I stumbled across O3X. The advantage of O3X being that I can run it on the photo editing workstation I'm planning to buy (looking at a cheese grater Mac Pro), instead of buying a separate NAS and a work station. So if I go with O3X, will I easily be able to set up shares for other computers on my network? And, most important of all, is O3X ready for prime time, or should I wait for later releases?
Brendon

Postby Dismayed » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. My highest priority is stability. Since I intend to pick up an Apple Mac Pro anyway, I'll start with that to see how I get on with O3X. If it works out, then I'll only need one box. And if it doesn't, I'll re-purpose the hard drives to the NAS box.
Dismayed

Postby Dismayed » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:52 am

I picked up a used 2010 Mac Pro desktop last night that already contains 4x1TB HDs. I'll play around with ZFS RAID on 3 of them. If that goes well, then I'll buy a a PCIe SSD to use as a boot drive and I'll buy larger HDs.
Dismayed

Postby Dismayed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:29 am

My experiments with O3X have gone well, thanks to the help that I've received on this forum. I've built a RAIDZ2 4-drive pool, scrubbed it, replaced the 1 TB drives with 4 TB drives, resilvered, and renamed devices by exporting and importing the pool. I must say that I'm impressed by how easy it all was, thanks to the hard work by the development team.

So thank you, for both the solid code and for the help in getting this set up.
Dismayed

Postby rpammeraal » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:57 am

Did you do anything special to expand the pool size?
I have replace three drives with larger drives and my pool size stays the same...
rpammeraal

Postby Dismayed » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:59 am

I followed advice of more experienced ZFS users:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2372
Dismayed

Return to Absolute Beginners Section