No ZIL / L2arc walkthrough in docs?

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

No ZIL / L2arc walkthrough in docs?

Postby luminousdolphin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Can't seem to find any documentation on this.

I have a spare SSD right now not in use. I'd like to see performance with / without to make my own assessment of its utility.

I'd like to partition the disk from what I gather 4gb for ZIL and 60gb for l2arc and leave the rest free (its a 256gb intel ssd)

It seems I will have to install gpart via home-brew to accomplish this? Openzfs will not automatically label a partition as ZFS?

Can someone provide a concise answer on how to achieve this from the command line?
luminousdolphin

Re: No ZIL / L2arc walkthrough in docs?

Postby Brendon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:02 pm

A good source of information http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/, also http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/in ... ning_Guide.

Cheers
Brendon

luminousdolphin wrote:Can't seem to find any documentation on this.

I have a spare SSD right now not in use. I'd like to see performance with / without to make my own assessment of its utility.

I'd like to partition the disk from what I gather 4gb for ZIL and 60gb for l2arc and leave the rest free (its a 256gb intel ssd)

It seems I will have to install gpart via home-brew to accomplish this? Openzfs will not automatically label a partition as ZFS?

Can someone provide a concise answer on how to achieve this from the command line?
Brendon

Postby luminousdolphin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Yes but a lot of what I read is a bit dense and doesn't have my particular use case scenario. Also, a lot of walkthroughs are for those running free-bsd and solaris and their commands do not carry over to osx.

Not sure if I should be using gpart for formatting?
luminousdolphin

Postby Brendon » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 pm

You can just use diskutil to partition your SSD.

Once done the commands you want from memory are

sudo zpool add <dataset> cache <drive>
sudo zpool add <dataset> log <drive>

For further reference see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819 ... exterm-150.

Cheers
Brendon

luminousdolphin wrote:Yes but a lot of what I read is a bit dense and doesn't have my particular use case scenario. Also, a lot of walkthroughs are for those running free-bsd and solaris and their commands do not carry over to osx.

Not sure if I should be using gpart for formatting?
Brendon

Postby luminousdolphin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Thank you for your help.

I've got everything up and running it seems. One quick question:

1. I've allocated 4 gb ZIL and 60gb L2arc and left the remainder empty on a 250gb drive I have 16gb of ram and have a 16tb of total storage (8 useable after mirror) Do you think these are appropriate quantities? Also, if I do other work on this machine (light photo/video editing etc.) should I limit the physical ram used to open it up for the OS?

My primary motivation for an SSD l2arc was that I use the machine for other things other than server.
luminousdolphin

Postby Brendon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:04 pm

No idea!

Cheers
Brendon

luminousdolphin wrote:Thank you for your help.

I've got everything up and running it seems. One quick question:

1. I've allocated 4 gb ZIL and 60gb L2arc and left the remainder empty on a 250gb drive I have 16gb of ram and have a 16tb of total storage (8 useable after mirror) Do you think these are appropriate quantities? Also, if I do other work on this machine (light photo/video editing etc.) should I limit the physical ram used to open it up for the OS?

My primary motivation for an SSD l2arc was that I use the machine for other things other than server.
Brendon

Postby tangles » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Here's what I've setup on a workstation for video/Graphics use.

MacPro 2008
nVidia Titan GPU 12GB VRAM
BlackMagic DeckLink HD
Chelseo 10Gbit Ethernet
3.0GHz CPU x 8
32Gb RAM

2 x 60GB SSDs striped for boot/apps tucked away in the spare optical drive bay.
4 x 2TB 7200rpm for ZFS mirror in the normal 3.5" drive bays.

Video workflows love memory more than ZFS! So I restrict ZFS to just 8GB ARC.

Also set a reservation on your pool of 1MB too, because you'll be grateful if you ever fill your pool when capturing/working!

I mainly use the pool for work-in-progress, so I rarely get >70% capacity and move stalled/completed projects over to another ZFS pool on another server via 10Gbit Ethernet.

I did have Sata3 setup in this Mac for ZIL/L2ARC but couldn't see the benefit in real-world for video. I find having more vdevs beneficial over ZIL/L2ARC for video work.

I haven't played with the recordsize attribute yet, so I can't comment about that, but I imagine it might help if you have to copy large mpeg2/HDV around.

Cheers.
tangles

Return to Absolute Beginners Section