dual boot dilemma

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

dual boot dilemma

Postby kengh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Setting up pools using O3X under Yosemite but have a dual boot to Snow Leopard for some software that won't run under Yosemite. The data files will be stored on the pool which won't be accessible from Snow Leopard because O3X won't install/run under Snow Leopard. So how to solve this dilemma? I believe MacZFS will run in Snow Leopard but would I have problems with the pool by using MacZFS in Snow Leopard and O3X in Yosemite? guidance most welcome.
kengh

Re: dual boot dilemma

Postby lundman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:06 am

Is your snow leopard 64bit? If so, you should be able to compile it yourself and use it. We just haven't tested it for a while.
lundman

Postby kengh » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:10 am

lundman wrote:Is your snow leopard 64bit? If so, you should be able to compile it yourself and use it. We just haven't tested it for a while.

Not sure. How would I find out? Compiling may be beyond me. Something I may have done when younger but not any more.
kengh

Postby lundman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:05 pm

It's surprisingly easy, the wiki entry for it give the commands to paste, but sure I understand. You could make a pool of version=8 and use it with maczfs too, but you'll miss out on all the neat features
lundman

Postby tangles » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:37 pm

How bout this...

I virtualised 10.6.8 for some researchers who still need to use invaluable genetics-based software that is PPC.

Assuming your software isn't too choosy about running it this way, get your hands on OS X 10.6.8 Server and test. (Apple's licensing permits Server versions only to be virtualised)

Just don't enable any server related offerings and it's the same as OS X 10.6.8 client.

The real benefit of virtualising your old environment enables you to easily plan to upgrade your hardware, rather than keeping an ageing box around purely for natively booting OS X 10.6.8.
tangles

Postby kengh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:28 am

tangles wrote:How bout this...

I virtualised 10.6.8 for some researchers who still need to use invaluable genetics-based software that is PPC.

Assuming your software isn't too choosy about running it this way, get your hands on OS X 10.6.8 Server and test. (Apple's licensing permits Server versions only to be virtualised)

Just don't enable any server related offerings and it's the same as OS X 10.6.8 client.

The real benefit of virtualising your old environment enables you to easily plan to upgrade your hardware, rather than keeping an ageing box around purely for natively booting OS X 10.6.8.

That sounds a reasonable idea. The only problem I see is actually getting OS X 10.6.8 Server. I don't imagine Apple would be forthcoming.
kengh

Postby xbytor » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:22 am

They were still selling OS X 10.6 Server last year but all I see now is plain OS X 10.6 for $19.99 from Apple.
Amazon does have Server (http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Server-Sno ... E8S9Z3B31N) but it's selling for $99.00. There may be other avenues of getting Server for less $$s. Go forth and google.
xbytor

Return to Absolute Beginners Section