Memory utilization under the 2.1.6 RC candidates

New to OpenZFS on OS X (Or ZFS in general)? Ask your questions here!

Memory utilization under the 2.1.6 RC candidates

Postby Sharko » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:33 pm

Hi, I noticed that these latest RC candidates don't seem to put /etc/zfs/zsysctl.conf in its usual place, as prior installations used to do (like 1.9.4). Is it still possible to limit memory in the manner described on this page?

https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Memory_utilization

Or have the changes made to MacOS in recent versions (that lock down ever more of the system directories) kind of made this a moot point? If not, can I simply re-use the old zsysctl.conf file from 1.9.4 in the usual place to perform memory limiting? Thanks,

Kurt
Sharko

Re: Memory utilization under the 2.1.6 RC candidates

Postby ffk » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:13 pm

Sharko wrote:Hi, I noticed that these latest RC candidates don't seem to put /etc/zfs/zsysctl.conf in its usual place, as prior installations used to do (like 1.9.4). Is it still possible to limit memory in the manner described on this page?

https://openzfsonosx.org/wiki/Memory_utilization

Or have the changes made to MacOS in recent versions (that lock down ever more of the system directories) kind of made this a moot point? If not, can I simply re-use the old zsysctl.conf file from 1.9.4 in the usual place to perform memory limiting? Thanks,

Kurt

I believe you can just create the missing zsysctl.conf file. I’m unsure about reusing previous settings.

Limiting memory on M1 macs with more the 16gb of ram was recommended by lundman In the rc5 build notes using...

sysctl kstat.zfs.darwin.tunable.zfs_arc.max=16106127360

So I believe you can still tune using a .conf file
ffk

Re: Memory utilization under the 2.1.6 RC candidates

Postby lundman » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:37 pm

zpool-import-all.sh has

if [ -f "/etc/zfs/zsysctl.conf" ]; then
/usr/local/zfs/bin/zsysctl -f /etc/zfs/zsysctl.conf

We just dont place a sample there any more
lundman

Return to Absolute Beginners Section