4K HTPC finally...

If it doesn't relate to ZFS, but you still want to share it, please do it here.

4K HTPC finally...

Postby tangles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:49 am

with ZFS on the backend of course…
It's like Apple read my mind offering the 10GB option…

3.2GHz 6‑core eighth-generation Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
8GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
Intel UHD Graphics 630
128GB of SSD storage
10 Gigabit Ethernet

Christmas just came early for me...
tangles

Re: 4K HTPC finally...

Postby tangles » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:51 am

And straight to hell with the next model…

I'm sure the M1 laptops will be great, but for Mini owners…. not if you wanna run it anywhere near a TV set…

Here I am with an LG C9 panel an waiting for the next Mini to offer 10GB and HDMI 2.1…

Talk about crash and burn.

Sure, I can get by having to use some TB3 external Ethernet adapter (Once drivers exist?) but the lack of HDMI 2.1 just hurts.

I'm now running all my monitors in the house at at least 100Hz these days… The whole point of buying the LG C9 was to get rid of 3:2 judder in the lounge room… forever!

Now I'm in hope that some third party can deduce from the M1 GPUs that DP 1.4 is actually possible as I already have a USBc → DP1.4 → HDMI 2.1 adapter ready and waiting.

Talk about pathetic specs sheet Apple… what exactly does the M1 GPU side of things actually conform to for Video output/peripherals? There's no mention about what TB3 A/V standards can be parsed so that's normally not good news… :cry:

I'd so luv to know the engineering challenges of HDMI 2.0 versus HDMI 2.1 bandwidth for the M1. Here's where I'm torn… If it's such a good chip, why limit it's abilities with HDMI 2.0? huh huh? yeah… Is it really that good?

If the M2 has HDMI 2.1 and it's in a "laptop"… I'm gonna be so annoyed that the silicon is engineered that way.

I know it's a transitional chip… but c'mon… at least give ½ a chance for it to survive out in the wild, past 2 years!

I hate Apple, but every few of years, I love Apple products…

Here's the trophy list that kept me an Apple customer.
At the top of my list, the 2008 MacPro 3,1… no one could get near the cost of this thing back in the day. It's value was superb!
The Beige G3… talk about scary CPU improvements over the 604 at the time.
XRaid! yep… These were the best $$/GB at one stage… I remember Sun Microsystem's boxes had a tonne of these storage appliances attached to them back in the day. (Even a Java config manager from memory?)
The G4 Digital Audio rings a bell with is improved memory bandwidth (533MHz CPU from memory… LOL)
Further back was the 7300/200 for me, although I loved the 7600/132 with it's built in AV inputs.
Before that was the SE/30… Wow what a work horse and yes, I am old!
Of course the iPod… but it was the iPod nano that got my attention. I still use them in the glove box of my cars!
Recently on the mobile side of things was the iPhone 5s… Stunning effort and design.
iPad2 did wonders for education, although I can't say my life would be any different if the iPad never existed. (form factor only that is… clearly the UI and now the M1 will change the world)
AirPods of course.
And maybe, just maybe the iPhone 12 Mini might join this list too.
And to come full circle, the Mac Mini 2018 is up there for me, a real little work horse if configured with a hexacore, 10GB networking and add your own RAM upgrade… ;)

What Apple products have memories for you?
Like I said… I hate Apple as a company… but they sure do release some good products every now and then…
tangles

Return to Off the Wall